Which Type of Stonemason Are You?
They each are working on the construction of a new building. Technically they’re on the same team, but it’s their attitudes that I’m interested in.
When we ask Mario what he’s working on, he frowns and says with a hint of sarcasm:
“My job is to take these bloody awful stones, chip them down so they fit into the open slots on that wall over there, and hope like Hell they don’t fall on someone. I’m just doing what my boss tells me to.”
Paladino chimes in rather bluntly:
“I’m a stonemason. I’m building that wall over there.”
But Antonio is a wee bit different. He takes a sip of water from his canteen, wipes his lips and then a smile begins to develop from ear to ear across his five o’clock shadow face. With vigor and passion, Antonio asserts:
“I am part of a team that is building a fantastic place of worship for the masses to enjoy for all eternity. We know this Cathedral will become a symbol of community and as each stone gets laid, we get closer to our goal of bringing people together.”
And it begs the questions, which type of stonemason are you?
- The Collaboration Curve
- I Am A Corporate Floater
- Open Leaders: My #TChat Experience
- The Harmonic Leader: Stage 5 of 5 in the Leadership Tonic Scale
- Steve Denning Nails It on Forbes: Paradigm Shift in Leadership and Management
- Steer Clear of Organizational Leadership Turbulence
- Goodbye Team of Five Years
- Air Canada Isn’t Collaborating With Its Employees