Dan Pontefract July 2019 Music Playlist (for lovers of hip-hop)
It’s July of 2019 and I found myself thinking back to the summer of 1986 when I was 15. It was the year a certain album titled Licensed to Ill came out. My world changed.
It’s the same year I met one of my best friends, Kendall. He introduced me further to the world of hip-hop. Combine the Beastie Boys with Kendall’s influence and you have a lifetime appreciation of artists like Public Enemy, Drake, Snoop Dogg, NWA and so much more in between.
It turns out that I’ve been listening to hip-hop now for 33 years. No one really knows, nor should anyone care. When I’m cycling or on one of my many airplane trips, there is a slew of go-to songs, albums and artists that I listen to.
My 13-year-old son has introduced a few new artists to me, including XXXTENTACION and Juice WRLD, proving I suppose that what goes around comes around.
Spanning the year 1986 through 2018 and containing songs from every decade in between, here is my tribute to hip-hop:
Click here to be taken directly to the playlist on Apple Music.
Note: every month, author and leadership strategist Dan Pontefract curates a music playlist. Usually, there is a theme. Dan has always wanted to be a music DJ, so this is his thinly veiled attempt at accomplishing that lifelong goal. If you have any “songs” you’d like to see recognized, send him a note. As an aside, he took over as the DJ from his own wedding in 1995 because he didn’t think there were enough people dancing. Things changed rather dramatically when he took the stage.
Click for the entire list of playlists.
- Dan Pontefract June 2019 Playlist (for myself, it’s my birthday!)
- Dan Pontefract August 2018 Playlist
- Dan Pontefract March 2018 Playlist
- Dan Pontefract December 2018 Playlist (Christmas Edition)
- Dan Pontefract March 2019 Playlist (for Claire and Cate)
- Dan Pontefract May 2019 Playlist (for the 80’s weirdos)
- Dan Pontefract January 2019 Playlist (homage to Peaky Blinders)
- Dan Pontefract April 2019 Playlist (for the weirdos)