The new book from award-winning author Dan Pontefract
A thought-provoking and empowering book that will inspire leaders to take a fresh look at a new coalescence between work and life.
In Work-Life Bloom: How to Nurture a Team That Flourishes, award-winning author Dan Pontefract takes a fresh look at integrating our professional and personal lives. Just as a flower needs the right mix of sunlight, water, and nutrients to grow and thrive, team members need the right mix of work-life factors to create a fulfilling and harmonious existence. Through primary global research, interviews, and personal experience, Pontefract delves into the current state of work and life, offering practical solutions for leaders and organizations to create environments where teams can flourish.
Pontefract argues that there really is no such thing as work-life balance: our rigid attempts to achieve it don’t reflect current realities and are, in fact leading us to further burnout, stress, and unhappiness. Instead, he encourages a more holistic approach, promoting the idea of “blooming” in both work and life. Pontefract stresses that for people to succeed, they must reach fulfillment through the integration of work and the personal aspects of life. After all, people bring their work into their lives and their lives into their work; an improved integration is necessary.
Pontefract introduces six key work factors — trust, belonging, feeling valued, purpose, strategy, and norms –and six life factors –relationships, skills, well-being, meaning, agency, and respect — essential for creating an integrated work-life ecosystem that genuinely blooms. The 12 factors contain practical solutions and strategies for leaders who want to nurture Work-Life Bloom environments for their team members and achieve this mindset for themselves.
With a unique approach and vivid writing, Work-Life Bloom is a must-read for anyone looking to improve their impact as a leader.
PS. You can take the Work-Life Personal Assessment (FREE!) to discover if you are blooming, budding, stunted, or in renewal at the intersection of work and life. Visit this link to access the free assessment.
If you’re already reading the book, don’t forget to visit the Work-Life Bloom Extras site, where a garden box full of free downloads is available.
Meet Dan Pontefract
Dan Pontefract is a renowned leadership strategist, author, and keynote speaker with over two decades of experience in senior executive roles at companies such as SAP, TELUS, and Business Objects. In these roles, he focused on corporate culture change, leadership development, employee experience, and overall performance improvement. Since then, he has worked with organizations worldwide, including Salesforce, Amgen, the State of Tennessee, Nestlé, Canada Post, Autodesk, BMO, the Government of Canada, Manulife, Nutrien, and the City of Toronto, among others. Dan has firsthand experience in turning leaders and corporate cultures into a competitive advantage, and he believes that the future of work is now.
In addition to Work-Life Bloom, Dan has written four other award-winning and best-selling books: Lead. Care. Win., Open To Think, The Purpose Effect, and Flat Army. Dan also writes for Forbes, Harvard Business Review, and other outlets.
Dan is a renowned keynote speaker who has presented at four TED events and delivers approximately 50 keynotes annually. He is an adjunct professor at the University of Victoria’s Gustavson School of Business and has received over 25 industry, individual, and book awards. He’s delighted to be selected for the Thinkers50 Radar, a member of Marshall Goldsmith’s 100 Coaches, HR Weekly’s 100 Most Influential People in HR, PeopleHum’s Top 200 Thought Leaders, and Inc. Magazine’s Top 100 Leadership Speakers.
Dan also hosts the popular Leadership NOW Program, where he interviews thinkers, authors, CEOs, and leaders. Through these interviews, he seeks to understand what makes leadership and people bloom.
Where to Buy
3-Minute Book Explainer
Award-winning author Dan Pontefract is offering you the chance to discover your current Work-Life persona.
Find out if you’re blooming, budding, stunted or in need of renewal through the Work-Life Bloom Personal Assessment
Press & Podcasts
We’re tracking as best we can all the places where Dan Pontefract and Work-Life Bloom are being covered in the press and on podcasts. View the list below.
- The Globe & Mail: In Work-Life Bloom, Dan Pontefract Argues Work-Life Balance is a Myth (link)
- Forbes: Now Focus On Human Needs Because Employee Engagement Has Failed (link)
- HR Reporter: Employers lacking when it comes to wellbeing support (link)
- Cision Newswire: New Research and Book Challenges Traditional Views on Work-Life Balance and Employee Engagement (link)
- Forbes: How to Build a Culture That Enables Everyone to Flourish (link)
- RRU: Work-life balance is a myth. Work-life “bloom” is where it’s at (link)
- HRD: How Work & Life Can Bloom in a Four-Day Work Week (link)
- MidWest Book Review of Work-Life Bloom (link)
- VictoriaNow – Work-life balance is a myth (link)
- ASBN – The Small Business Show with Jim Fitzpatrick (link)
- ATD: Horizontal Ignition – How Skills Can Replace Jobs (link)
- The Globe & Mail: There’s No Point (link)
- HRDTV: How Work and Life Can Bloom with a 4-day Workweek (link)
- ThoughtLEADERS LLC: The Loneliness Epidemic (link)
- HRD: The Role of Trust in a Reduced Working Week (link)
- The Virtual Campfire with Tony Martignetti (link)
- The Sales Leadership Show with Phil Gerbyshak (link)
- The 1% Podcast with Shay Dalton (link)
- Happy Space Podcast (link)
- The Soft Skills Salon Podcast (link)
- Institute of Internal Communication Podcast (link)
- Remarkable Leadership Podcast with Kevin Eikenberry (link)
- Evolve: A New Era of Leadership w/ Carolyn Swora (link)
- Hybrid/Remote Centre of Excellence (link)
- Knowing Self / Knowing Others with Nia Thomas (link)
- People Strategy Leaders w/ Srikant Chellappa (link)
- The Selling Show w/ David Newman (link)
- HR Chat w/ Bill Banham (link)
- Social Responsibility at Work w/ Angela Howard (link)
🌸 Are you in the press, a podcaster, or someone looking for collateral about Work-Life Bloom?
Visit this Dropbox site made especially for you. It contains:
- Press/Media guide
- Sell sheet
- Promo sheet
- Book cover graphics
- Author photos
- Author bio
In Bloom - The Poem
In a different life, Dan Pontefract wanted to be a DJ. Or a VJ. Or at least someone who would be asked to spin music at house parties. (That actually happened.)
In the lead-up to the launch of Work-Life Bloom, Dan started putting together playlists that correspond to various moods of the book. If you have an Apple Music subscription, you can add the playlists to your library.
Classic Alternative Indie Vibe Throwback (Vol 1)
The Beatles (Playlist)
Hip-Hop Dan Style (Playlist)
The Actual Work-Life Bloom Playlist (Access and then read the song list)