Why You Must Define the So-What of Learning

sowhat3

Whether you work for a private family-owned business, a publicly traded corporation or in the kindergarten-to-higher-education continuum somewhere, you’re going to have to define learning – whether it’s for your employees, colleagues or students. So let’s examine the “so what” learning definition – meaning why learning is present in organizations. As 2012 creeps along, the […]

The Con Academy

khan

Rest assured, I am not against The Khan Academy … at least not entirely. There are several reasons to celebrate what its founder, Sal Khan, and the team have done: A discussion about ‘flipping the classroom’ (as the Economist helped point out) has become mainstream, if not a healthy obsession Outlets such as TED, Charlie […]

My Thoughts: iBooks 2, iTunes U App & iBooks Author

itunesu

According to Philip Schiller, Apple’s Senior Vice-President of Worldwide Marketing and Eddy Cue, Apple’s Senior Vice-President of Internet Software and Services, there are: over 1.5 million iPads in use in education institutions over 1,000 one-to-one iPad deployments in K-12 schools over 700 million downloads at iTunes U over 500,000 audio or video offerings  available on […]

Learning 2.0 is Dumb: Use ‘Connected Learning’ Instead

Going forward, and as best I can, I’ll use the term ‘Connected Learning’ to describe a knowledge ecosystem made up of formal, informal and social learning behaviours and modalities. It’s about time I (and perhaps you as well) retire the term Learning 2.0. There are a few reasons for this: Learning will forever be part […]

How did you learn about #OBL? A series of questions.

The folks over at Mashable are running a poll entitled “How Did You Find Out About Osama Bin Laden’s Death?” I equate this to how you might have ‘learned’ about the incident. At least 54% of respondents used one of Twitter, Facebook and/or instant messaging social media tools. The other 46% learned the news through […]