In 2014, I Will …
03 January 2014
In 2014, I will …
- Write a better book
- Update: Well, I think I have … but the reader will be the ultimate judge
- Find a new publisher (that believes in me)
- Convince HBR to feature me more than once
- Update: Failed (only once) but did sign a contract with Forbes to start in 2015 (I also started writing at Huffington Post)
- Re-read more Handy and Drucker
- Update: Done. Delightful.
- Be invited to speak at the Drucker Forum
- Update: Done. Also delightful.
- Visit Europe at least three times
- Update: Done. Paris. Amsterdam. London. Stratford. Vienna.
- Reach out to those I’ve dearly missed
- Update. I’d give myself a B. Not quite as good as I expected of myself.
- Respond to more tweets without including the original one (ie. just converse)
- Update: Definitely. It’s been fun.
- Reveal more of my true personality publicly
- Update: Well I believe I’ve accomplished this, but who really cares?
- Stop using 2.0 after anything
- Update: I had one flagrant foul, but in my defense, I was relating back to 2008 when I used it.
- Become more conscious of where I buy things from
- Update: The January-April experiment of not buying anything from China was very, very hard.
- Continue donating money and time to those in need
- Update: Done. >$1500 donated in various forms and time given in multiple ways.
- Accept my weaknesses & celebrate my natural strengths
- Temper my ‘quick to judge’ tendencies
- Update: Tempered, yes. Eradicated, no.
- Enjoy the opportunity of launching a start-up consulting outfit in an $11 billion company
- Update: It had its moments, but so far so good.
- Read at least twelve books
- Update: Nine, dammit. (but I am going to Maui and there is time left)
- Tell better stories when I’m speaking
- Update: The audience is the ultimate judge, but I believe I’ve worked hard on this one and seen some good results.
- Shift ten pounds of weight around
- Update: If I grab two pounds of skin from each side of my stomach, and shift it to the back, does that count?
- Learn to take stunning photographs
- Update: I have definitely learned how to do this. So much fun. (see below)
- Pay it Forward more than I did in 2013
- Answer every comment on this blog
- Update: It was close, but no, I did not.
- Assist Denise through her career decisions
- Update: Hooray! We stayed put.
- Support the goats through yet another transition
- Update: If by transition you mean “we’re moving” and then “we’re staying” then yes, accomplished.
- “Live well, love always and laugh out loud every day” (© Brian Reid)